It is the ability for students to do the following:
Identify, manage, and express emotions constructively.
Persevere when things get difficult and challenging.
Communicate and related effectively with others.
Work collaboratively in groups.
Negotiate and resolve differences in a win/win manner.
In Focus is our newly adopted curriculum that intends to build and support students' awareness of skills for social-emotional development and wellness. It has specific skills that are taught which identifies emotions, how to respond to those emotions, stress management, management of emotions and impulses, and how to focus their attention and calm themselves. Students need this critical form of intelligence to successfully navigate the challenges, relationships, and experiences they encounter throughout their school years and later in life. In Focus helps students do the following:
- Improve their intellectual development and academic performance
- Elevate their awareness, management and expression of feelings
- Develop focusing and attention skills
- Reduce bullying and impulsive behavior
- Learn how to deal with conflict and stress
- Elevate self-esteem and confidence
- Strengthen social skills
- Increase sensitivity and empathy
- Build self-reflection and self-awareness skills
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Improve teamwork and collaboration skills
- Increase social and emotional intelligence
School-Connect: Optimizing the High School Experience is an 80-lesson multimedia curriculum designed to improve students' social, emotional, and academic skills and strengthen relationships among students and between students and teachers. School-Connect is implemented nation-wide in all 50 states in a variety of courses.
The program consists of four modules based on the Social and Emotional Learning Competencies (SEL) identified by researchers as critical to success in school, the workplace, and life in general:
- social awareness
- relationship skills
- responsible decision making